Important Changes to Garbage Collection Practices
Starting August 1, 2009 the following changes will be in effect for Leslie County Residents through Rumpke Garbage Collection Service as oulined below:
- The cost per month per household will change from $17.28 to $15.90 per month;
- The Senior Citizen rate will remain the same however, the age limit has been lowered from 65 years old to 62 years old. If this affects you, you may take your proof of age to the Leslie County Transfer Station and they will assist you in making the change.
- As a new customer, you will be required to pay only one (1) month in advance which is $15.90. If you are 62 years of age or older the amount is $10.76 and proof of age is required.
- As a paying residential customer, you will be able to use the Transfer Station free of charge; any household items (appliances, furniture, etc.) may be taken during normal business hours without cost. You will need proof of identification and service address. This service does not include construction debris such as shingles, drywall, brick, etc. There will be a charge for those items.
- Recycle bins will be available at the Leslie County Transfer Station for the collection of recyclable items of paper, plastics, aluminum/steel cans.
Please be aware that if you do not have garbage collection you are in violation of Leslie County Ordinance #94-05A and your garbage is being disposed of in an inappropriate and/or illegal manner. This includes the sharing of containers, taking trash to mining sites, using business dumpsters, etc. Violation of this ordinance could result in fines not less than $250 and 30 days in jail. It is also a violation of KRS.512.070 which involves Criminal Littering.
Some non-compliant residents have already received letters from me and for those who have been in compliance and for those who have came into compliance I want to thank you for your cooperation and for making Leslie County a much cleaner and healthier environment. For those who are refusing please be aware that you will be summoned to Leslie County District Court.
If you have any questions or problems please feel free to contact me at 672-4103 or you may call the Leslie County Transfer Station at 672-4170.
What is a Solid Waste Coordinator?
I am the person who handles garbage, littering, illegal dumping and recycling. I organize and assist roadside litter cleanups, community cleanups and prosecute people who dump their garbage illegally and are not signed up on mandatory trash service. I educate adults and children about environmental issues and help residents dispose of trash properly.
Starting August 1, 2009 you will be able to voluntarily drop-off recyclables at the Leslie County Transfer Station!
The following will be accepted:
Plastic: Soda, Milk, detergent, shampoo & small-mouth bottles with a #1 or #2 on the bottom.
Paper: White ledger paper (personal computer, copy machine and type-writer paper; white ledger pads, adding machine tape). Folders, Mail, Magazines, Envelopes, Brown Papers, News Quality Paper, Cardboard and Paperboard, and Phone books.
Cans:Aluminum and bi-metal beverage cans, steel food/tin cans and empty aerosol cans.
Please note the following:
- Labels do not need to be removed
- Please rinse and flatten.
- No lids, please
The Following Items are NOT Acceptable:
- Plastic bags
- Paint Cans
- Pizza Boxes
- Broken Glass
- Light bulbs
- Steel Scrap
- Coat Hangers
- Dirty plates, cups, napkins, or facial tissue.
- Window or drinking glass
Please be advised that you will not be paid for bringing these items. This is a voluntary recycling effort for all Leslie County residents and businesses.
Contact the Solid Waste Coordinator
Phone: (606) 672-4103
Fax: (606) 672-2631
Why is Illegal Dumping a Problem?
Because it takes our beautiful landscape and turns it into an eyesore!
With the help of volunteers and Pride, we can and do try to clean these up!
In this example, it's hard to believe that this was ever an illegal dump site.
The important thing to remember is that it's a lot harder and more expensive to clean up a dump site than it is to dispose of your waste properly! (And, it's illegal, too!).
Please feel free to contact me with any illegal dumping information or any other concerns you may have. Information given will always be kept confidential.
Please check back after August 1, 2009 as a new contract will be in effect. Changes that will affect you will be made available to you on this site.
Links of Interestwww.kypride.org